Monday, February 18, 2008

Why does my cell phone make screechy noises when I place it near my computer?

This article is about why does the cell phone make noise when you put it next to a computer?
Well most electronic devices act as a radio transmitter. An explanation for this is that your
computer unintentionally emits radio waves in the range of frequencies reserved for cell phone
communications, typically around 800 megahertz (MHz). If the signal coming from your computer is strong enough, your phone could mistake it for a cell phone transmission. Computer noise, however, does not contain the sort of information that your phone's onboard computer is programmed to expect. Thus, it responds to the resulting cascade of communications failures by creating a series of audible alerts. Also a cell phone has an audio amplifier that drives its speaker, and the radio waves emitted by the computer may induce currents in the wiring of the amplifier itself. The resulting audio output then would reflect what your computer is doing at that moment but would sound to a person like random squeaks and squawks. The only way to prevent EMI is to keep spurious radio waves under wraps. I think this article is very interesting because this kind of happened to me. I had my cell phone with me and I put it next to the computer and it started to make these weird sounds and I thought my cell phone was busted. Turns out it was emmiting EMI from both the cell phone and the cell phone. This article surprised me and made me very interested. It made me learn why you get these noises when you put a cell phone next to a computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment