Wednesday, September 16, 2009

oil spills in the ocean


SUMMERY
I read an article today about oil spills and its effects. lots of oil spills are accruing around the world. lots of them are illegal dumpers. illegal dumpers are people who dump crude oil into the ocean because they do not want to spend money on decomposing their waste oil. But dumping oil in the ocean is illegal thats why they call them illegal dumpers.

THE EFFECTS OF OIL SPILLS

Oil spills have a big effect on the animals that live in the ocean. Like sea birds. when a sea bird gets oil on its body there is a very high chance of it dying. when it gets it on its feathers it trys to clean it off by eating it. once it gets into its body it becomes poisoned and will die. Another way is that it will get it in itss eyes and the bird will become blind. when its blind it is most likely going to be eaten because its not aware of its preditors.

THE LOCATIONS OF SOME OF THE WORLDS LARGEST OIL SPILLS

1983 the Persian gulf - 600,000 tons of oil spilled

1983 south Africa - 250,000 tons of oil spilled

1988 the Monongahela river - 3,800,000 tons of oil spilled

1993 off the Shetland island -26,000,000 tons of oil spilled

1996 off SW wales - 18,000,000 tons of oil spilled

2001 Galapagos island - 240,000 ton of oil spilled

WHAT I THOUGHT ABOUT THE ARTICLE

I personally thought that this article was very interesting. I never really thought about how much oil spills effect our oceans. I mean i saw commercials on TV where it shows birds covered in oil and people cleaning them off and where it shows a dead killer whale washed up on a beach covered in oil. I new that oil spills where bad but i never really payed any attention to it. This article made me realize how important it is to not dump oil in our oceans.



21 comments:

  1. i realy hate oil spills because it kills a lot of living spicies, and it does a lot of polution

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your artilcle and there is so much oli spills like you said

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jon,

    This is a really interesting topic! What I am always wondering about is how these spills can be cleaned up. Have you heard of any research that is being done to come up with ways to clean up these spills. Like you, I see that there are people on the land cleaning off birds and animals by hand but I wonder if there are any biological ways to absorb the oil that was spilled!

    One really important thing I learned from this is that companies actually dump the oil on purpose! I thought that it was usually by accident - it is terrible that these oil companies do that on purpose!

    Thanks for posting this Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At home i have a fish and wouldnt like him to die of oil spills

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that this is a really interesting topic because oil spills is very dangerous for the fish because they get sick or they die and is also dangerous for us because if we swim in oil spilled water we will get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a very interesting topic like ms.Hessian said and think like alex to because oil kill a lot of specie i think that we can try to not use oil and to replace by something else that don't kill species

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this oil spill thing is just making me mad because all these animals die from suffication. the oil make there sking all slimy and stuff and their skin can't breathe and they die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everyone that this is a very cool topic but it's also sad because they're killing the species in the ocean and that they're polluting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oil spills are one of the worst casses for then sea and anamails around it, because it takes a lot of time, money, and resorses to clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article!

    Ms. Hessian brings up two very good points:

    1. What is being done to clean up these oils spills that have occurred? Are there currently any biological / environmental methods used?

    2. How terrible it is that these companies dump the oil on purpose. How can the possibly not be held accountable?

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you think about it, there only puishing themselves.In the long run, when they need fish or they are trying to desalinitaze or whatever the word is that takes salt out of ocean water. There will be nothing left for anyone to use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is a very interesting article Jon!
    I hate the people that spills oil in the ocean! They pollute so much and they are killing a lot of spicies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i agree that andrew it make me sad but what do you want

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like i said on malcolm article if we dont stop poluting the world its going to come to an end fast and thats not good!! I have also seen commercials on stuff like that and when we look at them we dont think about what could happen...... that was an interesting article and i hope it all comes to an end when people start realizing it!
    Nice Job

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like to talk about nature problems, but I get so sad when I discover what could happen to pour animals that die because of oil spills!!!
    I was thinking...Jon talked about the birds, but it probably affects other sea animals, like fishes, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like to talk about nature problems, but I get so sad when I discover what could happen to pour animals that die because of oil spills!!!
    I was thinking...Jon talked about the birds, but it probably affects other sea animals, like fishes, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like to talk about nature problems, but I get so sad when I discover what could happen to pour animals that die because of oil spills!!!
    I was thinking...Jon talked about the birds, but it probably affects other sea animals, like fishes, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like to talk about nature problems, but I get so sad when I discover what could happen to pour animals that die because of oil spills!!!
    I was thinking...Jon talked about the birds, but it probably affects other sea animals, like fishes, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like to talk about nature problems, but I get so sad when I discover what could happen to pour animals that die because of oil spills!!!
    I was thinking...Jon talked about the birds, but it probably affects other sea animals, like fishes, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete